Fill out the HTS Reviewer Application and write for Hitting The Stage!
Tell us what you think! Become a reviewer for Hitting The Stage and contribute your mana‘o to Hawai‘i's theatre scene. Read the reviewer guidelines below and then fill out the application at the bottom of the page. There is no cost to apply and all information is kept strictly confidential. We have a lot of great shows to review, so join the team and become a staff reviewer for HTS!
Reviewers should be able to:
- Read show publicity to familiarize themselves with the genre, historical context, and/or directorial concept of a production before reviewing.
- Arrive promptly at the performance venue and conduct themselves in a professional manner.
- Provide critical, objective, and unbiased review, even if associated with the production. (If associated with the production, reviewers must openly state their relationship with the show at the beginning of the review.)
- Write a comprehensive review between 500-750 words, covering at least the following areas:
- Basic info: Who is producing the show and what is the title of the production? What is the basic synopsis?
- Acting: Was it believable or not? Were there any stand-out performances? Please list specifics why you feel this way.
- Directing: Was the directorial concept successful? Why or why not? Again, cite specifics.
- Tech: Discuss the production elements and talk about what you liked or didn’t like. Try to touch on all the elements: set, lighting, music, props, costumes, hair/make-up, special effects, etc.
- Other: Any other aspects of the production that the readers should know about?
- When mentioning them in the review, provide names of actors/production staff from the show program.
- Submit the review in a timely manner, as arranged with the HTS editorial staff.
In return, reviewers shall receive:
- At least one complimentary ticket to attend the production. Two may be given if available and arranged in advance.
- A $15 stipend per review. This amount shall not exceed $0.02 per the maximum 750 words, and shall be rescinded if the reviewer writes less that the minimum 500 words. Stipends are dependent on funding availability.
- A prioritized posting position on the HTS home page for maximum readership visibility.
- A chance to work with great people on the HTS team, as well as the opportunity to contribute to Hawai‘i’s diverse theatre scene.
Fill out the application below and join the HTS team!